Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pit Bulls - Breedism?

Yes, they have a powerful jaws. Yes, they are a sensitive breed. Yes, they have been trained for protection and defence. But they are animals who need love and proper care, like any other. I would question the motives of the owners, rather than the nature of the dogs. It is only because of the mistreatment of pit bulls, that I would be afraid of them, but that would be the case of any dog or breed who was treated this way. Now, with all the bad PR, what do we expect? Animals are very sensitive to the emotional energy we emit. When we see a pit bull, what do we emit? Love? I think not. They are beautiful dogs. They are tender and obedient when treated properly, like any other dog. There is a gorgeous white pit bull, who lives in my neighborhood. I met her when walking my Aussie with my kids. She had escaped over the six-foot fence around her back yard, and took herself for a walk. She appeared very happy to see us. She was gentle with my dog, who can be very antisocial with his kind. They walked along together calmly. We allowed her to lead the way, thinking that she might go home, which she did. I met her owner, who was mortified. She was told to go into the house, and she promptly obeyed. I did call the police, as I was walked along with her. Twenty minutes later, they hadn’t arrived. I was told later that the reason why the laws about pit bulls had changed in this part of the world was initiated by the police. In some areas of the city, pit bulls were trained to be so vicious that the police were afraid to go in. I have no evidence to support this but that’s the word on the street! Anyone who has a power that is not understood and threatens the status quo, is often demonized by our western culture. So it is with women, homosexuals, races that differ from the “norm” of our severely flawed society. And so it is with pit bulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment